Propoganda Poster

 


As time's gone on, I've started to notice less and less people wearing their masks. I think a lot of people have forgotten we're still in the midst of a global pandemic, so I wanted to stress the point that wearing a mask could save someone's life. 

The original selfie image was actually a self-portrait I took for another class; I liked the angle my face was positioned at, it was very clear, and close up. 

I started off by cropping and fitting the image to the 8x11 page. Once I had that done, I started to trace. I originally traced over everything, including my nose and mouth, then went in later and drew the mask over it. By the time I was done with the tracing, it looked something like this:

I had to tweak the outline here and there as I started to fill the colors, but generally I didn't have to do much once I had the outlines set. I did a lot of Googling to try and pick a color scheme. I wanted something eye catching, but also visually pleasing. I ended up making four different versions of the coloring, all drawing from different posters that I found inspiring. In the end, I liked all of them and had to send them to my friends to vote on before I narrowed it down to my final palette:

Originally, I had the same dark green from the mask filling the eyes, but I wasn't super happy with it, so I took the green I'd used in another color palette for her eyes. This goes against the 
This color palette was inspired by the two images below.  The first image, of Lady Liberty in the mask, also inspired my general idea. The red I ended up using was taken from the original selfie image I traced. 


For the font, I used a font called "Nikkyou Sans". I layered one font in the original red from my color palette, then copied the message and changed the color to a complementary red a few shades darker. Then I arranged the darker font behind and slightly offset from the brighter red to create a shadowed effect, which I think makes the font pop more. 


Overall, I really enjoyed this project. It was a lot of fun and only occasionally frustrating (mostly when I was filling the color and had to keep closing paths I thought I had already closed). It only took me about five hours in total, spread out over three or four days. 

Comments

  1. Your poster is very effective because it gets straight to the point and motivates the viewer. Making the words bright red was a good choice because it stands out from the cooler toned image. Your vectorization is very neat but you don't have pupils so you could try to add those. The pose of your portrait is very heroic which matches well with the message you are communicating. Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I went back and forth with the pupils for a while - in the end, I just wasn't happy with the way they were coming out for me, and I liked the look of the eyes without them well enough that I decided just to leave it as is.

      Delete
  2. Your message here is clear and the poster as a whole I think is very effective. It's clean and to the point and your colors go really well with each other. I like the effect you did with the text as well. I thought you added an effect within Photoshop but your description is a really cool way of thinking outside the box. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There probably is a Photoshop effect for the text, but it was quicker and easier to control if I just layered it up by hand.

      Delete
  3. I love the color scheme, as well as the way you chose to do the eyes and the font you used for the text. The font is bold and bright red, which draws attention. I love the fact that the eyes have no pupils, it draws more attention to the main message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a very successful poster in my opinion! I really love the bold lettering, I think it definitely emphasizes your message. I also think you chose a great style to draw yourself in, it's a nice balance of minimalism and still being able to easily recognize your features!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really think this poster is amazing! It is very simplistic but the attention to details makes it stand out, I love that you are not looking directly at the viewer, but your gaze is going upwards to the side. I think the lines are very clean and I appreciate that the message is short and to the point. It is an effective and well designed poster.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts